Here is the long awaited post on the Mexican Spaghetti! The night I made this I was low on everything, but I was bound and determined I was not going to the store. I really was trying to clean out my pantry and use all my stuff left over instead of buying unnecessary items.
This dish was really fabulous. Sometimes paring together ingredients that normally would not sound good together, make a wonderful taste combination and that is what took place here.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 (12 ounce) package spaghetti noodles, broken in half
- 5 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat.Cook chicken breasts in the oil until nicely browned on the outside.Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Add remaining oil to the skillet, and add the broken spaghetti. Cook,stirring constantly until spaghetti is browned. Drain off any excessoil, and add tomatoes and onion. Dice the chicken breasts, and returnthem to the skillet. Season with cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper.Pour in water, cover, and simmer over medium-low heat until pasta istender, and water has been absorbed, about 10 minutes. Check towardsthe end, and add more water if necessary.
- Spoon the chicken mixture into bowls to serve, and garnish with shredded cheese.
You can find more recipes like this at one of my favorite cooking websites, All Recipes.
This recipe is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.