This past week, my daughter has been after me to make her some homemade taquitos. However, when I tried, my version was a lot bigger than a taquito, so I named them chimichangas!
These little guys turned out SO good. I had all the ingredients on hand so it did not take long at all to whip this up. It is a small portion size so this makes for a great one person meal when you are in a hurry. You could even pare this with one of those little microwave cups of Minute Rice and have a well balanced meal in just minutes!
So here is how I made this dish:
I used 2 frozen chicken tenderloins and grilled them on my grill pan with a little salt, pepper, and season salt. (Lawry’s all the way baby!)
I also made up a homemade salsa mix using Rotel, cilantro, white vinegar, salt, and cumin. I mixed a little of that juice with the chicken and shredded it up to look like this:
After your chicken gets done cooking, set it aside and warm your tortillas. I used 6″ corn tortillas. After you warm your tortillas, place a small amount of chicken on each and a slice of cheese. I used pepper jack cheese.
After doing this, roll them up burrito style. This should not be hard because your tortillas should be nice and flexible. If they feel like they will crumble or break, take everything off and warm them again in the microwave for about 20 seconds.
After rolling them up, then put some oil in a frying pan and fry all sides until the tortilla is crispy like a chip! Then take them and dip them in your homemade salsa! YUM!
You will be SO glad you made these . They are delicious and other than frying them in oil, they are very healthy for you!
Here is the printable of this recipe!
Chicken Chimichangas for One
2 chicken tenderloins
season salt (Lawry’s)
1 (10 ounce) can of Rotel tomatoes
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons of cilantro
3 tablespoons of white vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
4 (6-inch) corn tortillas
2 slices of pepper jack cheese
oil for frying
- Season chicken tenderloins with salt, pepper, and season salt. Fry them until done on a grill pan. Dice up and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine Rotel, cumin, cilantro, white vinegar, and salt. Taste. Add more spices if necessary to achieve your favorite salsa flavor.
- Take some of the juice mixture from the salsa mixture and mix with your chicken chunks or shreds.
- Heat tortillas in the microwave for 20 seconds or until heated through and flexible.
- On each tortilla, place a small amount of the chicken mixture and 1/2 of a slice of pepper jack cheese.
- Roll up burrito style.
- Heat oil in a skillet and add burritos to the hot oil. Fry them on all sides until crispy like a tortilla chip.
- Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel. Serve with salsa and your favorite rice!