Over the past few weeks, the kids and I have been reviewing Math Mammoth.
Math Mammoth offers affordable, yet quality math worktexts and workbooks for grades 1-8, available as both downloads and printed books. These books concentrate on conceptual understanding and are strong in mental math. The directions in the worktexts are written directly to the student, and are often self-teaching, thus requiring little preparation and involvement from the teacher.
While Math Mammoth has several series for all age groups, we chose to review the Make It Real Series. Make It Real Learning by Frank C. Wilson workbooks are written for grades 3-12, and each concentrate answering the question, “When am I ever going to use this?” It will motivate the students far more than dull, boring word problems from the textbook. It will show students how mathematics is truly USEFUL. Each workbook is $4.99. A sample download of 10 different activities is available for download.
These workbooks are very thorough with their teaching. I have nothing negative to say about them except they just were not a good fit for our family. The only reason I say this is because we already use a math curriculum that we adore and love and have not found anything yet to compare to it. Having said that, if we were not using this other, Math Mammoth would be the one that I would try next.
Check out the Math Mammoth website for the other series available:
- The Blue Series: These are worktexts on a specific topic, such as addition or subtraction, place value, clock, measuring, money, multiplication, division, geometry, fractions, decimals, ratios, percent, integers, and so on. This topical arrangement makes the books suitable for many kinds of situations, such as:
- To supplement any other math curriculum;
- As a remedial material for students who are behind;
- As a review material on specific topics.
- The Light Blue Series: This is a mastery based full elementary math curriculum for grades 1-6. Each grade level in this series consists of two student worktexts (A and B), and supportive materials, which include answer keys, tests, cumulative reviews, and an additional worksheet maker. The money chapter in grades 1, 2, and 3 is available for U.S., Canadian, British, European, and Australian money. Each full year curriculum, as a download, costs $34.00. Print versions are also available.
- The Golden Series: Worksheets by grade level, for grades 3-8 This series contains worksheets only, one topic per sheet, but it doesn’t teach the topic. It is best suited for review, reinforcement or for tutoring purposes. Pricing for a complete grade collection ranges from $12.00 to $14.50. Discount packages are available.
- The Green Series: Worksheets organized by topic, for grades 3-7 This series contains workbooks, or worksheet collections, each with a different mathematical topic (such as geometry, integers, statistics, or measuring). Each book in the Green series spans several grade levels on the same general topic. This makes it optimal for teachers who need worksheets on varying difficulty levels, and for parents/teachers who need comprehensive review material on a specific topic. The Green series books have been compiled from the grade-level collections (the Golden Series), so they contain duplicate content. Pricing for each individual topic ranges from $2.50 – $9.00. Discount packages are available.
If you are not sure that Math Mammoth is right for you, download this virtual math pack and get a feel for their program. It’s free!sample package with 300 worksheets you can download for FREE!
I was provided a complimentary copy of the Math Mammoth program to write this review. All opinions are my own.
Want to see what other crew members are saying about this product? Visit the Crew Blog and check it out!