Peppermint Meringues: The Great Cookie Swap of 2011
This month I joined a Virtual Online Cookie Swap. I loved it because it turned out to be the coolest cookie swap ever! It’s like a Secret Santa meets a Christmas Cookie swap with many friends, except it is all done online.
I received 3 different boxes of cookies in the mail from three very sweet ladies. Molasses cookies which were my fave (I won’t tell you that I ate almost the entire box myself). I also received a box of sugar cookies and a delicious box of chocolate peppermint type cookies that were SO good. Thank you ladies for the blessing
In return, I had to make 3 dozen cookies and mail them out. I chose to make Peppermint Merinuges. This recipe came straight from the Bon Appetit Magazine. I knew as soon as I saw the recipe that this cookie would become one of our favorites for the holidays.
They look just like little peppermint candies!
Adapted from Bon Appetit Magazine
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 12 drops red food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 200°.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. This is an important step. The first time I made tem I did not use this and they stuck to the pan, so be sure and use the parchment paper.
- Using a stand mixer, beat egg whites and salt on medium-high speed until white and foamy, about 1 minute.
- With mixer running, gradually add sugar in 3 additions beating for 2 minutes between each addition.
- Beat until firm peaks form, about 2 minutes longer. Add powdered sugar and peppermint extract; beat to blend, about 1 minute.
- Squeeze droplets of coloring over surface of meringue; do not stir (the coloring will form swirls when piped).
- Spoon meringue into a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2" tip, or just you a regular zip lock bag with 1/2 corner cut off.
- Pipe 1" rounds onto prepared sheet, spacing 1" apart.
- Bake meringues until dry, about 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Let cool completely, about 1 hour (meringues will crisp as they cool).
- Store airtight at room temperature between sheets of parchment or waxed paper.
2 Responses to Peppermint Meringues: The Great Cookie Swap of 2011
This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, event sponsorship, paid insertions, sponsored posts or other forms of compensation. This blog uses affiliate links within posts. Please contact me above if you are interested in working together.
Another one of my youth babies flying the coop. Congrats to evanaussiejenkins on graduating tonight.… http://t.co/Q7PFntWTaL - jennifer_sikora
I just won 6 Swag Bucks by Searching the web at http://t.co/7dWHsK0mj2. http://t.co/APb2NwMwXh - jennifer_sikora
@SMSmovingboxes Made my move SO much easier. Today -- I'm giving away moving supplies so come enter #giveaway http://t.co/DDQL1wcNtI - jennifer_sikora
Don't forget about my $100 Visa Card I am giving away @Greatgiveaways http://t.co/Tn27mNkQ4B #giveaway #win Ends 05/31 - jennifer_sikora
RT @darleneschacht: Dear heavenly Father, we pray for the people of Oklahoma tonight. Please bring comfort to those who have lost... http:/… - jennifer_sikora