This month for the Secret Recipe Club, I was given the blog From Arepas to Zwetschgen to make a recipe from. I was SO surprised at all the different cuisines that this german mama has prepared – and she is a lover of cookbooks like myself!
I decided upon this recipe for Gyro Style Pork with tsatsiki sauce. It was SO delicious! I’ve always heard of tsatsiki sauce and was not for sure what it was, but after reading the recipe, it turned out to be a cucumber sauce with a fancy name Easy to make and oh-so-good!
- (2/3 pound) pork chops, cut into ¼ inch wide strips)
- 1-2 tsp gyro seasoning (you can make your own--just google it)
- 2-3 tsp olive oil
- 5-6 medium ripe tomatoes, quartered and sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- salt and peper
- 250 g (1 cup) low-fat greek-style yogurt
- 5-6 cm (2 - 2½ inches) cucumber, peeled, seeded, and grated
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- salt and pepper
- 4 regular size pita pockets
- For the Tsatsiki, mix all ingredients together, season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours before serving. In a 1-quart storage bag or in a container, whisk together gyro seasoning and oil. Add meat, cover, and refrigerate for about 2-3 hours. Mix together tomatoes, olive oil, and vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let stand at room temperature for about 1 hour before serving. Take meat, tomato salad and Tsatsiki out of the fridge. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add meat with marinade and cook until meat is done, stirring often, about 7-10 minutes. Lightly toast pita pockets. Remove tomatoes from the marinade, using a slotted spoon. Place tomatoes, tsatsiki, and meat in pita pockets and serve.