When I was young, I used to go to the movies all the time. As a teenager, that was just what we did to have fun. Of course, nowadays, it is ridiculously high to even think about going to the movies. A regular ticket now costs an average of $12 to get in, and if the movie is a 3D movie, you can expect to pay a whopping $15-$20 per person.
Don’t even get me started on the popcorn.
There are ways to cut costs and still be able to go to the movies. I look at it this way — God wants us to use our money wisely. He didn’t say we can’t have fun, but we do need to find ways to save if it’s at all possible! I have chosen my 5 favorite ways to save and still be able to have a fun evening at the movies
1. Always check for coupons first! Many sites like Groupon and daily deal sites will have movie tickets sometime for as little as $3 per person. You can usually score between 2-4 during that time. These are good for about 6 months or so, so if there is a movie coming out later in the year that I know I want to see, I try and buy up a few to save money.
2. Visit the Matinee movie instead of the evening movie: Matinees are not as cheap as they used to be. I remember a time when the matinee was only $4, now a matinee movie will cost you around $7-$8. Regardless, it is still cheaper to hit up the matinee during the day. Not only do you save money, but you also avoid the crowds.
3. The Summer movies have advantages: If you have kids, check your local theaters for summer programs. Many times they will have movies that play free all summer long. You do have to get there a bit early in order to get in, but it is a good way to go to the movies and get in for free.
4. Forgo the popcorn and candy. Snacks are overrated at the movies. I mean who wants to pay $10 for a small popcorn and drink? NOT ME! You can check online for coupons for a free small snack pack, etc. Sometimes movie theaters will post these freebies on their facebook page and it does save you money. If not, you can just do without the snacks and then make a date for an ice cream run afterwards Plus, your wallet and your waistline will thank you.
5. Try visiting a drive in instead. I went to my first drive in move the other night. It was amazing and SO cheap! Where we live, they have double feature movies. The cost to get in is $5 per person and you get two movies for the price of one. The snack bar is cheap, so my entire family got to have a night out, 2 movies, and dinner for only $30. You cannot beat that. Check around and see if there is a drive in around your area. They do tend to be a little less expensive than going to the movies, and for me — it was a lot more comfortable
So what movie money saving tips do you have to share? I would love to hear them!
This post is linked to Frugal Fridays at Life as Mom, Coffe’s On at Home Sanctuary, Caffeinated Randomness, Favorite Things Friday, Weekend Whatever, Faith Filled Friday, Just for Fun Fridays, Homemaking Link Up, and 5 Minute Fridays. .