I am treating my family to a real meal tonight. I am quite sure that they will be pleased I’m even including a dessert. It is one of my favorites, and one that brings some happy memories to me when I was growing up — Old Fashioned Chocolate Cream Pie.
Looking for more easy recipes? Check out my huge database of delicious, homemade goodies.
Every time my mom made this growing up, I stood in front of her just waiting for the pot to come off the stove. I knew as soon as her pie was filled, I would get what was left with a spoon. There is NOTHING in this world like warm yummy chocolate
I’ve now taken over the tradition and make this for my family all the time. My daughter and son love to get the pot and of course, where my mom bought a store bought crust, I make mine from scratch.
- 1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked and cooled (you can find my favorite crust recipe here)
- 2½ cups milk
- 2 egg yolks (save the whites for the meringue)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp butter
- Whisk all ingredients together, except butter, in saucepan over medium heat, whisking constantly until thickened.
- Add butter and pour into baked pie shell. Set aside.
- Take egg whites and beat on high speed until stiff peaks begin to form. Sweeten with a teaspoon of sugar and finish beating until whites are stiff.
- Top pie with meringue and bake in a 300 degree oven until meringue is browned on top.