I love The Secret Recipe Club. It is a definite sure way to meet new bloggers and learn how to make some delicious foods that you might not normally think about making. This time around, I was given then blog Betcha Can't Eat Just One and I had the hardest time deciding which recipe to fix. I finally chose her yummy Caramel Popcorn recipe.
I always thought that making caramel popcorn would be hard to make, but after reading her recipe, I realized that it was completely doable and not really hard at all!
- 1 cup popcorn kernels, popped. (enough to fill roughly a 5 qt bowl)
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- ½ cup lily white corn syrup
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt (unless you used salted butter, if using salted butter, omit salt)
- Spray two cookie sheets or one large roasting type shallow pan with cookie spray and spread the popcorn out. (I have a 16X16″ cake pan that works perfect)
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
- In a medium heavy bottom saucepan over medium heat melt the butter.
- Add the brown sugar and the corn syrup and stir until the mixture begins to boil.
- Once at a rolling boil, let boil without stirring for 4 minutes. I turned the heat down slightly as I am really good at burning caramel, medium low heat.
- After 4 minutes, remove from heat and stir in the baking soda, vanilla and salt. The Caramel will spurt and bubble up when you add the vanilla so be very careful!
- Pour the caramel over the popcorn and use a silicone spatula to toss everything around getting it well coated.
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- After 45 minutes I started checking it more frequently to be sure it doesn’t burn as ovens can heat up differently.
- As the popcorn cools, the caramel will turn hard and crunchy.
- Toss up the popcorn and break up any larger pieces.
- Store in an air tight container.
This makes a great snack and is so delicious — much better than store bought caramel popcorn.
What have you been making lately?