I am loving all of these yummy new mushroom meals I am discovering. I used to only think that they would work as a side dish. I never in a million years figured that you could use them as the meat in a main dish until this month. In fact, I created this delicious taco recipe recently for Chipotle Mushroom Tacos.
I topped my tacos with my homemade roasted fire salsa and they were SUPERB!
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 large portobella mushroom, sliced
- 2 large canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from the peppers
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced into strips
- corn tortillas
- feta cheese
- Pour the olive oil into a large frying pan and heat over medium heat.
- Add the onion, stir and lower the heat. Continue cooking the onion until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the portobella mushrooms into slices.
- Add the garlic, chipotle peppers and adobo sauce to the onion mixture. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the mushroom slices, stir and continue cooking over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt.
- To serve, place some of the mushroom slices onto a tortilla, and top with some cilantro and feta cheese (or skip the cheese if you want to save some calories).
- Add a slice or two of orange bell peppers.
- You can also add some salsa for a little more flavor and texture.
I adapted this recipe from one I found on the Mushroom Council website. You can check out my other recipes for Mushrooms here —
What mushroom recipes have you made recently?