This month for the Improv Cooking Challenge, our ingredients were strawberry and cream. I already had in mind what I was going to make as I had recently been to the store and found strawberries and angel food cake on sale.
Doesn’t this sandwich look delicious? It is SO super simple and easy to make. This is a really light and healthy dessert. You will want to make this over and over again this summer with your bountiful strawberries!
- 1 loaf of angel food cake
- 1 pint of strawberries
- heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup of powdered sugar
- Hull and slice strawberries. Set them aside.
- Slice your angel food cake to the thickness you desire. Set aside while you make the whip cream.
- In your stand mixer, pour 1 cup of heavy whipping cream into the bowl. Whip on Speed 2 until the cream begins to form stiff peaks.
- Add your powdered sugar and continue to beat until the cream reaches desired stiffness.
- To assemble the sandwich:
- Place a slice of angel food cake on a plate and then top with strawberry slices.
- Place a dollop of whipped cream on top of strawberries and then top with the other slice of angel food cake.
- Serve to your friends and family.
I joined a new recipe swap a couple of weeks ago. It is really neat the way it works. You are paired up with another blogger and the two of you get to choose a recipe from each others website and make it. Then you get to post about it on your website! This idea comes from the Taste and Create site, which I have grown quite fond of lately!
My partner is Jen from The Misadventures of Mrs. B! I am totally in love with her website! She has some really yummy recipes on there, not to mention some funny posts as well.
Anyway, the recipe of hers that I chose to create was Apple Dumplings. After reading the post, I found out that this recipe originated from the Pioneer Woman so I already knew I was going to love it!
I cannot begin to tell you how absolutely and sinfully delicious this is! Here is the recipe:
- 2 whole Granny Smith Apples
- 2 cans (8 Oz. Cans) Crescent Rolls
- 2 sticks Butter
- 1-½ cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- Cinnamon, To Taste
- 1 can (12 Oz.) Mountain Dew Soda
Peel and core apples. Cut each apple into 8 slices each. Roll each apple slice in a crescent roll. Place in a 9 x 13 buttered pan.
Melt butter, then add sugar and barely stir. Add vanilla, stir, and pour entire mixture over apples. Pour Mountain Dew around the edges of the pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Serve with ice cream, and spoon some of the sweet sauces from the pan over the top.